Thursday, October 16, 2008

Shadow Webs

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday…it’s all good, right? At least I managed a manicure before the party we have to attend on Saturday night, even though I do wish I’d gone with my original idea now. Oh well. No time to change it, so what I have will have to do.

I have so many Halloween nail ideas in my head (especially after spending a lot of time lurking on a professional nail art board lately) that I couldn’t decide what to start with this week. On the one hand, it feels a bit early for Halloween nails (even though I’ve been living and breathing the holiday for several weeks now), but on the other, I’m totally into it, even if other people aren’t yet.

In any case, as you can see, I decided on webs this week. They’re easy to paint (I used a black striper brush), and personally, I don’t think they should look “perfect” (which is probably because mine don’t). Why yellow instead of orange? Because I wanted to save the orange for the actual Halloween week…heaven forbid my nails are the same color twice for Halloween.

The real beauty of these though is only evident at night. I started with two coats of OPI “Mega-Watt?” yellow, and covered that with two coats of Fantasy Glow-in-the-Dark polish (which has a yellow/green tint, but dries to nearly clear). The webs are painted on over the glow polish, so at night, my nails light up bright green, and the webs are highlighted as black shadows against the glow. Very cool.

Unfortunately, I’m still trying to figure out how to photograph my nails in the dark while they’re glowing. Even under a black light, I think my dig. Camera gives off too much light from the buttons and display. So this weekend, I’m going to get my old web cam out – the one with no lights, no flash, and see if that will work. This design really is more impressive in the dark, and I’d love to be able to show it off! So hopefully next week I’ll have pictures of that to post.

0 comments: