Sunday, January 1, 2012

Recap 2011

Not only is it the first day of a new year, but it is also approximately 1 year since I began doing nail art! To celebrate, I thought I would look back at some of my favorite designs. Here is a chronological list of my 15 favorite nail designs! I hope you enjoy looking at them as much as I enjoyed painting them. 

You can click on the title of each photograph to see my original post. 

Happy New Year!


These nails were inspired by the crazy Japanese horror movie  Hausu. They were the first nails that I  designed myself as opposed to using someone else's design.
2. Raccoon
I love the whole animal french tip phenomenon (like the pandas, pigs,  bunnies), so I decided to contribute by creating my own design and I came up with these adorable raccoons! The accent nails are their tails. 
Oh fruit nail art, how I love you! This is a simple summery set of nails that always make me smile! You can't go wrong with strawberries and kiwis! 
As a huge horror fan, I can't *not* include these Evil Dead nails!  My index finger has a portrait of Ash, which was my first, and will be my last, attempt at portraiture!
Attack the Block is an awesome movie! A lot of people who were involved in Shaun of the Dead worked on Attack the Block and it's about an alien invasion in the 'hood of South London. These are by far my most famous nails as they were tweeted a lot. 
You might not be able to tell, but these are the hardest nails I've ever done! They took hours and hours. The reason was that with a game as iconic as Asteroids, if you get one line slightly off, it's impossible to tell what it is!
I'm not always the most creative person, and it's usually easier for me to copy someone else's design than create my own. The Rolling Stones logo was perfect for nail art and I loved how these looked!
Initially these were inspired by M.C. Escher, but it was pointed out to me that they are also totally be the Q*bert background design, which makes them even more awesome! I do a lot of pattern designs, but these were my favorite of this year!
It's possible that these are my all time favorites. These nails were inspired by one of my favorite people: Matt Groening (creator of The Simpsons and Futurama). And by one of my favorite comic series: Life In Hell. You can see Bongo, the one eared bunny, his father, and Akbar and Jeff. 
This was another set of insanely difficult nails. For these ones the difficulty was the layering. First I painted a solid gray base coat, then I painted a grid with has marks over all the nails, then I filled in the numbers, and finally the flags required outlining the boxes and then a little art work. But, these were totally worth it, I've wasted many hours playing Minesweeper and I was proud to sport these on my nails!
My love of Matt Groening is probably well known, so included in this list are these Nibbler nails. On Futurama, Nibbler is Leela's pet  who poops dark matter (you'll notice my little dark matter piles of poo). I also really loved my first set of Futurama nails which can be seen here, but they didn't make the cut. 
I have always loved Garfield. I think the comic is hilarious. My tribute to Garfield included Odie, some cat scratches, some markings, and of course creator Jim Davis' signature. 
Not only is Godzilla badass, but his representation of the atomic bomb is tragic. Here I depicted him trashing Tokyo by knocking his way through some power lines. 
This was a set that was largely painted for Ron, the lover of all things hamburger. Hamburglar, from McDonaldland, dominated many a commercial in the 1990s and I have fond memories of being legitimately afraid that he would steal my hamburger. 
I've done quite a few sets of eyeball related nails, but these are my favorite! I love that they manage to look cartoon-y and realistic at the same time! 
How could a list of favorites not include Taco Bell? Taco Bell, is one of my favorite things ever and these nails made me really happy.

I hope you enjoyed this list of my 15 favorite nails! Thank you for reading my blog and I hope that I can impress you more in 2012! 

0 comments: