Friday, January 6, 2012

The Silence of the Lambs

Thumb - Moth
Index - View from night vision goggles
Middle - Hannibal's mask
Ring - Size 14 clothing tag
Pinky - Sewing pattern on fabric

A long while ago, LittleMonsterx14 of Claws Up suggested some Silence of the Lambs nails. I had two reactions to this: First, I was like, "oh yeah, I can definitely get those done soon" (boy, was I wrong); and second I was like "oh man, I'm gonna do hilarious Silence of the Lambs nails and do things like little fluffy lambs and lotion in a basket." But then, I decided to re-watch the movie to see if I could draw some inspiration. Re-watching The Silence of the Lambs made me completely change my design because at times that movie can be sooo creepy. So instead of funny nails, I took a more serious approach.

If you haven't seen The Silence of the Lambs, I may be about to give some spoilers, and you should probably just go watch it right now anyways. The moth on my thumb is the iconic image of the movie posters. It has a skull on its back (or... it's supposed to, I don't really like how the moth turned out) because it is a Death-Head moth. The night vision goggles on my index finger were included because of the scene at the end of the film where Agent Starling is invading Buffalo Bill's house alone and after he cuts the power he eerily stalks her using the night vision goggles. To me, this is one of the most memorable scenes in the movie. My middle finger has Hannibal's mask because it is so iconic to see Anthony Hopkins in that mask. My ring finger has a size 14 clothing tag. This actually as an aspect of the movie that I didn't really remember, but I found totally chilling. When Buffalo Bill abducts the girl, he knocks her out and says, "You're about a size 14?" He then checks the tag on her clothes and she is in fact a size 14. His familiarity with the female form is striking. Finally on my pinky, I included a dress pattern because when Starling is investigating it is seeing a dress pattern that helps her to realize that Buffalo Bill is trying to sew a suit out of human flesh. 

0 comments: