Sunday, March 4, 2012

Facebook and Why I Blog

I've never been very good at the whole social networking website thing, but I've decided it's time to change that! So I made a nail art page on Facebook, which you can visit here. It would mean a ton to me if you follow me on Facebook! Plus I set it up so that Facebook will update you when I post a new blog. But most excitingly, you will be able to get sneak previews of my nails before I blog them over on Facebook!

Since I finally am working on my networking skills, I figure it's a good time for me to tell you how I started blogging! I started doing nails in January 2011, but I didn't really photograph any of my nails in the beginning. Then I realized I should probably be documenting my progress so I started taking pictures and eventually started posting them to my personal Facebook page. Ron, my fiancee, began bugging me that I should be blogging. He wanted me to start blogging not only to share my nails but because I obsessively was checking out other people's blogs. Every single day, usually multiple times a day I would pop over to The Daily Nail, Polish Art Addiction, A Day In the Life of Dollface, Robin Moses, and many many many more. I was very resistant. I was convinced no one would want to see my nails and thought it would just be a waste of time. I felt like if I started blogging that I would be essentially talking to myself. After many persistent hours, I finally gave in to Ron's suggestion and started a blog. Well, let me tell you, I hated it. I got a few followers, who I appreciated, but I felt like it was such a waste of time! Then I posted a set of nails that changed it all. I went to see the movie Attack the Block and it inspired me to create these nails. Ron then tweeted them at Edgar Wright (who did a few movies like, oh Shaun of the Dead, Scott Pilgrim, and Hot Fuzz) and amazing stuff started happening. Wright retweeted them and my blog went nutso! Exactly one hour after posting those nails my meager blog got 505 hits. At that point I think my total number of hits for the entire time I was bloggin was maybe around 100. I went ballistic! I was literally jumping up and down (first of all because an idol of mine saw my nails, and secondly because my blog finally had some meaning) and running in circles. Ron kept repeating, "Aren't you happy I made you start blogging?" And of course, I was. By the next day I had over 2000 hits just from that one blog post. And ever since then, I've loved knowing when people are looking at my work. Even if every set of my nails isn't seen by 2000 people, it is amazingly awesome to know that even a few like to look at the work I do! I guess my overall message is: You should be blogging your nail art if you aren't already!

0 comments: