Friday, March 2, 2012

Star Trek - The Best Nails I've Ever Made

I have never been more proud of a set of nails. It might even be true that I've never been more proud of anything I've ever done (and I've done some pretty awesome stuff). These are my Star Trek nails. These came about when I started trying to alter the Obele nails I did the other day slightly. I created this weird pyramid shape that I loved and when I looked down the barrel of the nail the first thing I thought of was the emblem on the shirts of the characters of Star Trek.

A while ago Ron and I started the endeavor of watching all the episodes of Star Trek in conjunction with all the movies. Ron would tell you that I've given up on this, but I think I'll tell you my side of the story. I grew up on Next Generation, which I adored. But I had never seen the original series. Ron being the nerd that he is, insisted this must change. We started watching the original series and I have to say I was hugely impressed. I also was totally unaware of how much pop culture has derived from the series, I mean I thought it was a lot, but I had no idea how much.

After a while my enjoyment of watching a few episodes a day dwindled, and (some of you get ready to hate me), I know exactly why that was. I really really really hate Kirk. I just don't understand why anyone would ever make him a captain. He is totally susceptible to EVERY SINGLE problem they encounter. And like, if you put a woman in front of him he becomes complete jelly and forgets about all his duties. Now, Spock, there's captain material for you. Why in the hell is Spock not the captain? It's mind boggling. Every time Kirk messes something up, there's Spock to coming to the rescue. Ron claims that the genius of the show is the interplay between Kirk, Spock, and Bones. He says that the fact that their personalities make up the goodness of humanity (ie. Spock is the brains, Bones is the heart, Kirk is the spirit) is beautiful. NOTE: I asked Ron to recite his personalities theory and he quickly said "Spock is the brains, Bones it the heart....." And I was like, "and what is Kirk" his response was, "I guess Kirk is like the spirit or something." So obviously even Ron is aware of Kirk's suckiness. I said it.
 
Another view. Here you can see that the pinky says "Star Trek" in the font used for the original series. 
Because I invented this nail shape, I think I get to name it. So these are officially named The Warp nails. Here's a photo that shows off the height and the angle of the top of the nails.

OTHER STUFF:
Check out Leslie from Polish Art Addiction's Star Trek nails here. I am like obsessed with her design, and though it isn't overtly obvious, her set of Star Trek nails totally inspired me.

My friend Mark made like the best comment ever about these nails. He said, "Middle finger dies." 

0 comments: